iPhone to Galaxy S4 Switch

12 Responses

1. TB Foursixninetwo says:

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy SII and I have an iPhone 5s. We also have an HP Touchpad that I’ve installed Android ICS on. While I think the Android OS is fine in some respects, I’d also have to say that the iOS is superior in others – FOR MY NEEDS. iOS 7 has taken care of some of the features that you have pointed out were missing on previous iPhones (notification panel/center). The separate volume controls are really neat to see on Android, though. However, my wife really dislikes her Android phone because there’s TOO much to it and not simple enough to use for those who don’t want to customize every little detail. My tablet works great as an Android tablet. I’ve customized it to the extent that ICS can go (haven’t yet had the courage to upgrade the OS yet). So, pretty much as you’ve stated above, each phone/OS works great for what specific people need it for. It was nice to read your review considering I know how much you love Apple!

• Noel Green says:

I think you hit it on the head there TB. Everyone’s needs are different. The trick is to really focus in on what you use and how you like to use it. Don’t disregard something “just because it’s Android (or iPhone) — which I can tell you’re not doing.

• Steve says:

Thank you for the comment on iPhone to Galaxy phones. My question is how well the non-iPhone works on a Mac?
      We have a Mac21, and love it and can’t afford to upgrade right now anyway, but both our iPhones will be ready to upgrade in a week.
      Thanks for a reply.
      Steve

• Noel Green says:

Hey Steve,
        I’m not sure what you mean by “how do the non-iPhones work on a Mac?” I’m guessing you mean how does it interface with one… and honestly I don’t do that with mine so I’m not a great one to tell you. Like I said I never used any of the iPhone/Apple specific programs like iPhoto or iTunes so I never even really had my iPhone work on my Mac. Now I sync all my photos through SmugMug still — which is what I used to do, but it’s easier now — and I play music on Spotify still. If you’re looking to hook it up to your Mac and have it sync and stuff like that I don’t think it’s going to be as easy to use as an iPhone would be… so I’d keep researching before making the switch. Hope that helps/answers your question!

2. Mr. X says:

#0 / Noel Green
    YOU SIR – are amazing!
    Thanks for this epic review – I’m in the excat same situation; I’m thinking of going from iPhone (5) to Galaxy S5 (I know, but soon! :P ).
    This was everything I wanted to know.
    You just took the decision for me. I’m changing. Thanks man – you’re the best!

• Noel Green says:

Glad it helped! And you’re welcome!
      Feel free to tell everyone that my post helped you make up your mind — just don’t blame me if you don’t like it. :D

*I’m still loving it, btw!

3. Brooke says:

Hey Noel. I read your blog about the switch you made. I too made the switch but am having difficulty receiving text messages. I already had the apple gang disassociate my number with imessage but am still not receiving texts from some people. Also, I want to know how to make my phone my buddy…ya know…my friend. can you help me?

• Noel Green says:

Brooke, I’m not sure what the problem would be on receiving text messages. This article might help.

As for making your phone your buddy… just give it time! Possibly name it, or talk to it. Let it sleep near your bed too. Sooner or later it will come around — or you will. *smile*

• Michelle L says:

I also had this problem. I was told by Verizon that it’s “an Apple issue”. My Apple contacts had to delete my contact information and then add me again. This seemed to fix the problem.

• Kathryn says:

Hey Brooke, make sure iMessaging is turned OFF on any iPads/iPods you might still be using too that are linked to your Apple ID. Apple couldn’t anything for us until we turned those off, then all messages started coming through.

4. Jim Bob Leach says:

Welcome to the android family! :)
    If you like the customization, then you definitely need to get yourself over to the XDA Developer Forums and get that sucker rooted and custom-ROMed. I recommend SlimKat. ;)

1. March 8, 2014

[…] of Cnet to switch from an iPhone, Paul Colgan of Business Insider, Noel Green a self admitted iPhone male given day one. Even Eric Schmidt of Google common his beam to switching from iPhone to […]